Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick XP image to setup with Ghost for many PCs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyChan

MIS
May 14, 2002
HK
Hi,

I have many computers need to upgrade to WindowsXP from Windows98. I would like to using Ghost to clone PC to PC and save time. Do you know how to do it with Ghost and the steps to do that?

Thanks!

If you are going across to a single hardware platform you will be fine to go straight across. If you need to go to multiple platforms, then you should use something like SYSPREP found on the WinXP cd in the Support\Tools directory inside the DEPLOY.CAB. With this will then strip the HAL from the system. Then create your ghost image. Deploy the image. Then when it is setting up it will create a new HAL and prompt for license keys, workstation name, etc... Respond back if you have other questions or want more info.

Hi Daslett,

I already tried Ghost to another PC. It do run the license no, User name, Workgroup, etc. But after restart, it seem very slow, cannot run program, hang up. Is any possibliabily cause by Novell client or XP multi-language version? Because our computers connect to Novell servers and running multi-language of XP.

Thanks!

Sammy.

SammyChan,

It is likely due to differences in the HAL between the original machine and the target.

Use sysprep to create the target image.

I am in that current situation, where I have 19 workstations, all on the same hardware platform.
I want to build windows xp pro once, updates et al.
And then ghost that image to all 19 workstations.
This sysprep that you make reference to, can you explain a little bit more.
And would sysprep work in this same manner?

Thanks.

Jaye

The reason that XP runs slow maybe due to Ghost.
Run a utility called "bootvis" on the client computers.
Ghost images bit by bit. this restructure the way xp boots up.
Xp keeps a index of the boot files paths on the hard drive when it created. this is lost when you image using ghost.
Microsoft uses "DriveImage" imaging software which copys by sector thus preserving the boot index.
Always run Sysprep when imageing XP and 2000.
The creation of the new sid is very important for security.

Just as an update for anyone following this post.
I built all 19 machines and ran sysprep on my first build and used that as my image, and proceeded to image each workstation, boot, enter cd key, and name the workstation.
Boxed it back up and it was ready for the client.
This method worked very well.
Side Note: I didn't have to activate windows on any subsequent systems, with the exception of the first one.
2nd Side Note: I have also ghosted xp to another workstation which again was the exact same hardware, works like a charm. My only question is if you remove the machine from the domain, rename the machine, add it back to the domain, does the sid not change?

gohard, if you used sysprep when you created the image, one of those choices is 'generate SID' and that would have generated a new SID for the workstation.

Also, if you create a sysprep.inf that has all of the settings in it, you don't have to enter the CD key every time--also, the inf file can name the PC and join it to the domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back