Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick update on Hot Desking Plse 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macoles

Technical User
Aug 14, 2005
US
On our BCM50 we have never used the hot desking facility on IP2050 but now have a use for this. I thought I had seen an option under Sets to turn hot desking on, but am darned if I can find it.

Can someone help me out please. Also any tips on setting up hotdesking would be appreciated as I am completely green on this one.

Many thanks.

Ok apologies. I seem to be getting confused with systems here. I thought you could hot desk and log in on any ip phone and have your extension setup there.

I have now found the hotdesking setup on the ip phone. It seems tho if 2 people want to swap offices they cannot using this feature. Am I right?

yes.
Hotdesking allows someone to recreate all there settings,number ,voicemail,line ringing etc onto another phone on a temporary basis.

you set it up on your phone with a password.
Then you go to the other IP phone and enter the hotdesk option and password.
This phone now recreates all your settings and becomes your extn for the Duration
When finished undo the hotdesking and the phone returns to the original settings.

if you are just swapping offices then swap IP Phones
The phone should reconnect to the bcm keeping its info.

Ok thats helpful. Though I seem a bit out of my depth as I would have thought swapping IP phones is a BEM function and not easily achieved by a user?

Because IP Phones are not directly wired to the BCM, they route voice packets via the LAN.
Therefore your phone is not tied to a particular wired port.
You can unplug it and reconnect it to another Lan port.
The phone should reconnect to the BCM via the LAN thus keeping its extn number.

wired phones are different.
You can use set relocation as long as the phones you are swapping are wired directly to the bcm Punch down ports.

If relocation is on then swapping the 2 phones would change the bcm port to the new number of the swapped phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back