Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

quick question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drachenhunter

Technical User
Dec 5, 2002
US
Hello,

I'm not really trained for much of the networking involved with the "behind the scenes" stuff on the internet. So if this is a really stupid question, don't mock me to hard. lol.

Anyway, My boss wants me to use some new software to monitor our portmasters, and I was wondering: what is a "lcp echo request"

LCP is "link control protocol". In it's most common usage (and certainly in this context) it refers to the mechanism that controls a point-to-point protocol (PPP) connection.

A LCP Echo Request is similar to a ping in a TCP/IP context, but on a lower level in the link. The LCP Echo Request is sent from one point to the other with the expectation that a LCP Echo Reply. This is a method of determining if the point of the connection is still active. Can also serve as a "keepalive" signal to keep a PPP connection active.

Look at the freeware "MRTG" with a Google search. SNMP sounds more reasonable than doing the monitoring at very low levels, and there are tons of freeware Open GL tools available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back