Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmastadj84

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2006
US
I am not sure if any can answer this or not but I am looking to putting together a little web server at home. I plan on using fedora or redhat. I am looking at using the Dell Optiplex 320 becuase it is cheap and small....perferct to tuck away under my LCD TV. But what I was wondering is if Fedora and/or RedHat has the drivers for the system. Mainly the drivers for the network and video card....don't really care about the siound. Anyone with any information in this matter would be a great help.

Thanks.

Hi Picou,
I haven't had to think about hardware support under Linux for years. For the most part everything just works. In fact, some things work on Linux that don't work on Windows without a vendor-supplied driver.

If you did want to investigate this more thoroughly, you would need the specs on the hardware, i.e.: the manufacturers of the video and networking chipsets. After you have that, you might be able to find more information on LinuxQuestions' hardware compatibility list (ref: or just by using a search engine for "linux video card model"

If you haven't purchased the computer yet, buy from a vendor that will install Linux for you. You'll probably get more personal service than you would from Dell and they will support Linux on your new computer. There are many choices out there. One popular one is System76 (ref: You might want to sit the Koala Mini next to your TV (I want one [thumbsup2]).

Here's a list of more vendors:
--
-- Ghodmode

Give a man a fish and he'll come back to buy more... Teach a man to fish and you're out of business.

Why not ebay for a cobalt RAQ - you should be able to pick one up for next to nothing.

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

the system76 systems are expensive when compared to the specs on the dell. I am trying to get the most out of $600. As far as ebay, I do not use and don't want to use ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back