Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick Question on installing Win98 on new HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zobbo

Technical User
Dec 21, 2004
IE

Have Win98 on disk with loads of other programs.

Disk has just been formatted ...how do I get the copy of
Win98 off the disk with just using DOS ?

Firstly - is this related to your Scanreg /restore problems from the otherr thread??
are you trying to install Win98 from CDROM?

could use a Win98 Boot floppy (bootdisk.com and others have them for D/l) to boot to A:\> (choose start WITH CDROM Support).. press ENTER after each command
from A:\>
E:\>
(this 'should' be your CDROM letter, but it may be other - even R:\> depending - swith to CDROM Drive letter)
CD WIN98
(this will confirm you have the win98 cdrom in drive, it'll say <drive>:\WIN98> now ...get back to Root C: - make a DIR and copy contents of WIN98 dir into it)
C:\
MD Win98
COPY E:\WIN98\*.* C:\Win98 /s
(Let it finish copying - remove the 98CD from drive now...)
CD\
CD WIN98 (should be in C:\win98> now)
SETUP

there are some FDISK usage you may want to use before running Setup - outlined a bit here --> faq615-5157 - this faq also shows you how to do it using an OEM cd

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

tektippy, I followed your tips but still could not get the
backslash character. I gave up the ghost and did an install using an original win98 disk. I appreaciate your help.

Ok....as long as you got a working box again - it's all JOY!

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back