Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick question about pop3 mailboxes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronjonmartin

Technical User
Jul 9, 2002
GB
The company I work for currently runs an SBS 2000 server which using exchange pops a pop3 mailbox and distributes the email to users every 15 mins. This is the shortest setting this can be set to using SBS 2000.

Another company I am involved with are interested in using SBS 2003 and want to know is 15 mins the shortest time period a pop3 box can be popped using SBS 2003 and the version of exchange that is included with it?

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

Both SBS's are limited to check for POP3 mail once every 15 minutes...

Your solution would be to arrange with your domain hosting company to route your email to your server via SMTP (to your external IP address). Then your e-mails would be delivered instantly, provided your server is online and TCP port 25 is sent from your Firewall/Router to your server.

The problem with just setting it up like this however is that emails sent to you would bounce back if your server should go offline. The solution to this can be found in thread955-1240238.

Thanks

keV

Thankyou very much for your help.

"It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem."
Malcolm Forbes (1919 - 1990)

p.s.....

To see the settings of the SMTP server in SBS2000 go:
Programs>
Microsoft Exchange>
System Manager>
domain_name(Exchange)>
Connectors>
SmallBusiness SMTP connector (right-click>Properties).

To see the settings of the SMTP server in SBS2003 go:
Programs>
Microsoft Exchange>
Exchange System Manager>
First Organization (Exchange)>
Administrative Groups>
First Administrative Group>
Connectors>
SmallBusiness SMTP connector (right-click>Properties).

What I do is have the mail delivered to my SBS server directly and set-up the host as a secondary Mail server by modifying the MX record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back