Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick question about .net 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmn2

Programmer
Mar 6, 2003
US
Hello,

I would like to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 but first wanted to ask if there would be any adverse affects on earlier projects I wrote in VS 2003 on version 1.1 of the dotnet framework. When I upgrade, can I expect that I can still modify the code from the earlier version, compile it and distribute it without any conflicts? Are there any other issues I really need to prepare for? Thank you for your input.

Be prepared for the worst. So take a Backup and then upgrade normally everything will be smooth but if you have multiple projects that reference one another then you can run into some trouble. Wich is easily solved by changing the * in the version number of your assembly. The clients of course will all have to install the new framework but a setup project can do this for you. I transfered a 25 project solution last week without any problem.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

Thanks for your input chrissie1. I'm seeing quite a few post on VS 2005.

Yep, people like new toys to play with.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

Before I dip my toe into the water as well, a quick additional question -

Our client PCs at work will not be upgraded to .Net 2.0 for some time - If I buy VS2005, is there any way that I can force my projects to remain compatible with .Net 1.1 & if I can, will I get any benefits from moving to VS2005 at all ?

Thx

Steve

I guess not.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

C4rtm4N -
If you open your 2003 projects inside the 2005 IDE, it will prompt you to migrate them. Once you've done that, there's probably no going back.

Chip H.

Make sure you copy the original application code to a new directory and use the copied one.

I've experienced some really nasty suprises in the Express version, probably because some things weren't supported.

CU

Tony Scarpelli
Clinical Engineering Dept.
Maine Medical Center
Portland, Maine 04102

You shouldn't have to make a copy of the old project as VS should ask you if you want to create a backup copy of it before it converts it (although I don't have the Express version so I don't know if that is the case with that product).

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

One further question on VB.net 2005. I have crystal reports version 10 standalone that works with vb.net 2003. Will it also work with vb.net 2005?

Yes

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back