Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick Norton Antivirus 2002 question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

walks

Technical User
May 7, 2001
CA
Just downloaded a file off of Kazaa that was full of viruses. The viruses were....

Backdoor.IRC.Flood
W32.LXD.mIRC
IRC.Companion
IRC Trojan
Mirc LXD

Now I am running Antivirus 2002 and it detected these viruses with ease but it gave me the messages..

"The file C:\Windows\Temp.SCR is infected with the Backdoor.IRC.Flood virus. Unable to repair this file"

That was followed by a message saying

"The file C:\Windows\Temp.SCR is infected with the Backdoor.IRC.Flood virus. Access to the file was denied"

Now I havent checked for all of these viruses, just the IRC Trojan and the W32.LXD.mIRC viruses and there appears to be no entries in the registry nor can I find the infected files upon searching for them. With up to date virus files and none of the infected files appearing when doing a search or scan is it safe to assume that these files are deleted and I am not virused?

Hi Walks,

Go here: virus information. (a list of all the viruses Norton Antivrus has protection for and what they do.
for the backdoor.irc.flood specificly go here:

Hope it helps :D If you succeed then help others :D

ken Christensen
Christensenken@hotmail.com

Yeah I had already done that before posting. I followed the steps on Symantec's site but it appeared that the viruses were not there as there were no registry entires concerning them, however it also told my certain registry keys like HKEY_LOCAL_Machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\runservices At least I think thats what the key was...there was no runservices there, just run.

I havent found any proof yet that these viruses actually are in my computer ut Im to worried to go online with it incase the trojans are still there.

i've had the same problem with kazaa and others. the only way i found to let norton clean everything up was to Cancel all downloads from p2p prog. looks like the only reason norton cant do anything with the files is because the files are in use by another prog.

after you cancel all d/l's, run full sytem scan and check regitry entries

Well the download was finished and I scanned the file for viruses before installing but it didnt detect anything. Then when I installed it it detected those viruses. Downloads were done before.

I have downloaded the Norton Antivirus 2002 trial from Symantec homepage but once uploaded on my OS (Windows XP Professional) an error occours tellin "The NAV 2002 trial is not ready for Windows XP"; does this happen only to me? There's a way to trt Norton Antivirus 2002 even on my Windows XP Professional?
Thank again

Aria

The same thing just happened to me. I can't find a way to contact Symantec on their website, other than to pay for telephone support.

Picked up the Nimbda Virus and got the same message. Told me that "the file C:\documents and settings\(user)\documents\new.eml" was infected. Checked for the directory and it doesn't exist. Searched for the files that Norton said were infected and they didn't exist anywhere else. Not sure what went on, but I know that the
directory \documents never existed.

Look in your recycle bin,right click/delete all protected files,all the virus files get put in there. Dave
bbmdave@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back