Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick newbie question: what is a trunK!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevehewitt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 7, 2001
GB
Guys,

I don't normally do this, but this is one of those questions which you can't answer by a google or a TT Search!!!

Stupid - I know, but I just don't know what a trunk is and I can't find any reference anywhere! :-(

AHHH!!

Someone - please can you briefly explain what a trunk is and what it does?!!!

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

A trunk is a line or group of lines (external) coming onto your phone switch.

---------------------------------
PDulfo aka pdiddy

Easiest star earn't?! :)

I've got a diagram I need to fill in from BT regarding a new Meridian setup / install.

It's about the 'Incoming Trunk Routes'. I need to enter in the route names, number of trunks and 'ACD queues'.

I'm going to have a play, but if anyone can help me out with this I would really appreciate it.

(Complete newbie to telecoms - just got thrown in)

Thanks,

Steve.

Thanks for the star.

give me a shout

paulds at corgi hyphen group dot com

I will see what help I can give you.

PDulfo aka pdiddy

Thanks Paul.

I've spoken to my Technical Manager about it who has set a number of things straight and also said that I will be put on a Meridian course in a couple of week shortly after implementation.

Thanks very much for your offer. Appreciate your help!

Steve.

just a hint, ask a lot of questions here before you take the basic meridian course, that course doesn't explain what a trunk is either.. a trunk is a single line that you get dialtone from another source, another merridian, the co..central office..ie the phone company.. your line at home is a trunk if you connect it to a switch.. they are usually not loop start in a switch as they are at home, but use a different starting arrangement, ground (grd) start is still used a lot. a earth ground is connected to the tip side (top or left) for a half second to request dialtone, this was used in all the older switches to avoid glare.. a inside phone dialing a 9 and answering an incoming call without knowing it..now most trunks are either t1 or pri.. i want go into that unless you ask, i know tons of telephony history, since i was installing when it was new. the 1st phone i installed had a crank on it to dial the operator

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Hi Steve. To shortcut looking for good information. Just do a search for any answers that John has given.

PDulfo aka pdiddy

Hi Guys,

Many, many thanks to you all.

I'll take what you said into account John. I've got some reading material and google at my disposal. Thanks for the info, just give me a day or so to digest it! :)
Telecoms is a whole new area to me (as you can see!). Coming from a WinNT and networking background there doesn't seem to be a huge amount in common!!!

It seems to be a problem with many of the topics in IT. The very, very, very basic information that everyone in the trade knows is actually very, very hard to get hold of as a newbie!!!

Many thanks again guys - I'm sure I'll be posting back in the not to distant future.

Cheers,

Steve.

your right and the few things that they do have in common, have different names..

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Good Point!

One other quickie: What's a RACE line?!

I'll get in quick.

The RACE line is the diagnostic modem line that BT use to support your switch. If you want to speak to BT relatively quickly then switch their modem off. Often you will get them calling you..

PDulfo aka pdiddy

just a modem line that you are paying a remote service company to monitor your switch for generated alarms...they use it to dial in to attempt to software up anything that generates alarms..ie t's or pri's even a loop

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

A good source of information is "Telecom Dictionary Third Edition".

God bless you gents. I'm hunting on Amazon now for it! :)

Thanks again guys - appreciated.

Cheers, (and I'm sure I'll be posting back shortly! :))

Steve.

thanks for the star, didn't get any in school... ask away steve, we all started knowing the same amount.. some of us didn't have the help.. but we like to help other tec's, that's why we're here

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

You should also buy Newton's Telecom dictionary. It will help out with all the name definitions and there are many!

Ta. I'm meeting up with the BT Engineer who will be installing our two ISDN circuits and RACE line tomorrow. I'm sure he'll leave me coming back with a few more posts.

Thanks again.

Steve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back