Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

quick launch bar has disapeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

itmike

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
I (try) to manage policies and profiles for a local school district.
I have done something in the config.pol file that has caused the quick launch bar to go away.

It doesn't hapen to me (domain admin) but every other group.

I have compared all the settings in the pol file (for a target group) and reset them to match domain admin then i put a test user in this group.

Still no quick launch tool bar.

Is ther an ADM for poledit on a win 98 workstation that will hard code this into the registry?

Thank you in advance

By quick launch bar do you mean the taskbar? If so, poledit may have muddled yet another one. Try this on one of the affected systems: close all applications and open the registry editor. Find the [tt]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StuckRects[/tt] key ("StuckRects2" under Windows 2000) and delete the entire key. Reboot and see if the taskbar isn't back in business.

I'm still confused by "quick launch bar" so here are a couple more possibilities:

There is a setting that removes the Taskbar option from Settings on the Start Menu to keep users from changing the taskbar properties. If I remember correctly, under certain versions of Win95, it also removed the taskbar from the desktop. Look for [tt]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer[/tt] and check the value "NoSetTaskbar". It should be set to 1 (enabled)

To re-enable Office 2000 toolbars, locate the [tt]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Common\Toolbars[/tt] key. The value "AdaptiveMenus" should be set to 1 (enabled).

I hope one of these helps. If not, single out one of the machines and post back with the details (OS version/edition, installed software, possibly even the contents of the POL file). We'll get this straightened out.

How I hate the Policy Editor! Grumble...
VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

Sorry about that. In the second example, "NoSetTaskbar" should be set to 0 to allow fiddling with the tsakbar settings.

VCA.gif

Alt255@Vorpalcom.Intranets.com

Thanks for the response.

A little more info. By quick launch I mean the "quick Launch" part of the taskbar. Taskbar shows up just fine.

If you right click on the taskbar you can add tool bars one of them is the quick launch.

when I log in as "domain admin" all options are available.

When I log in as "target group" options are greyed out.

We log into an nt domain and we have a mixed bag of OS some older 95 a lot of win98 and nt workstations, and a few win 2k workstations.

We use policies and profiles to "deliever" the start menu and desktop through a "policy" folder on the network.

The affected machines seem to be all win98 with IE 5.01.
Some have office 95 others have office 2000.

Thanks for the Reg settings I'll try them, but I really need to find a way to make the change via pol file because this is where the "foul up" came from.

Thanks

Mike

In my initial review of the policy editor I was unable to determine the setting that is blowing you away. Under WinNT each user has profile created. In WINNT/Profiles/<username>/Application Data/Microsoft/Internet Explorer you will find the Quick Launch folder. I don't remember where this information is stored in the registry but I know it is in there. That's all the input I have right now. I should have more later when I get to my computer. Rick Out !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back