Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick DNS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

people2

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
What are the benefits and disadvantages of active directory intigrated DNS to be used rarther than setting up each server individually as a dns server?

What if any are the known issues

I'm using win 2k advanced server sp3

cheers for any help

How many servers do you have!?

I have about 70 in our head office and only two of those (the two domain controllers) are running DNS. It works perfectly well. I can't see any point in putting DNS on every server. Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

If the computer are all in the same domain and you want to run Active Directory you need to have DNS running, it does not necessary have to be integrated. an integrated DNS setup is where DNS goes to do lookup instead of a text or database file. it's just a storage place in general terms.

Now depending on the size of your network usually one DNS server is enough

A secondary DNS server is a slave to the primary DNS. the secondary only keeps a cache copy of the DNS lookup tables.

What are the advantages of setting up an Integrated DNS is all records are stored in the Active Directory. If the Primary DNS fails you have not lost DNS setup if you have more than one Domain Controller.

One of the biggest problems I see if you setup all primary DNS on the servers is maintaining all the DNS records.

I have one windows 2000 server running active dir and dns. This is used to authenticate people in office 1

I need to add a new server that authenticats people in office 2. To do this i need to install active dir wich in turn needs DNS. I will also be doing this in 3 other office to make 5 servers running Active dir and dns for authentication reasons, hence why i was wondering if active dir integrated DNS would be better rather than 5 DNS servers

Cheers

Reasons (as I remember in this moment) why is better to use ADI DNS(Active Directory Integrated DNS):

1. You can have secure dynamic updates (being part of the AD any record can have its own DACL)

2. Fault tolerance (the DNS database will be part of the AD so, it will be distributed to the DCs from that domain).

3. Better replication, and quicker (is AD replication) Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

I have 9 remote sites. Each site contains its own domain controller with DDNS running. They all replicate perfectly well between themselves. Having DNS on every site will also reduce your traffic on the WAN.

Hope this helps, Glenn
BEng A+ MCSE CCA

I would say that DNS and GC are a must in remote sites!
Plus, "_msdcs" zone should be available for them (as secondary zone for example). Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back