Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quick comma question

Status
Not open for further replies.

herkiefan

Technical User
Oct 13, 2006
US
Hi,

I've read several posts on TT referring to commas, but I still have a question.

Which one is correct?

In 2008 we won the championship.
In 2008, we won the championship.

I really hate starting a sentence like this. However, my boss likes it and I'm not really sure which one is correct.

I would prefer:
We won the championship in 2008.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.”-Albert Einstein

I would use the comma.
In 2008, we won the championship.

However, it's not required.
--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

We won the championship in 2008."

Excellent solution. Avoid the hassle in the first place.

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

try saying it out loud. do you need to pause? if so use a comma. in this case i see no need for a pause = no comma.

per ardua ad astra

A comma would be needed if conveying the results of multiple years' results such as:

In 2007, we lost in the first round; in 2008, we won the league championship.

Absent context like this, I would say no comma.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

dgillz said:
Absent context like this, I would say no comma.
So, are you saying that you would write:

In 2007 we lost in the first round.
By extension, you would write:
In 2007 we lost in the first round. In 2008 we won the league championship.
If I have interpretted your assertions correctly, then your original prescription ("A comma would be needed if conveying the results of multiple years' results...") is irrelevant...the commas do not become necessary just because you are optionally joining two otherwise complete sentences with a semicolon.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]
“Beware of those that seek to protect you from harm. The cost will be your freedoms and your liberty.”

I'd go with J0ckser's "read it out loud and see if you pause" apporach. Of course, you might pause in places where I wouldn't, but that just gives your piece of writing something of your voice rather than mine. That's a good thing.

Here's how I might use/not use commas:
In 2008 we won the championship. This success came after the new manager instituted a wide range of coaching and squad changes.
The new manager instituted a wide range of coaching and squad changes. In 2008, we won the championship.
In reading the second passage, I'd place an emphasis on "2008" and follow it with a slight pause - hence the comma. In the first passage, I'd place what emphasis there was on the word "championship". Your milage may vary.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back