Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

quick and easy mail server

Status
Not open for further replies.

conntaxman

Programmer
Aug 7, 2003
US
what would be the best for a mail server on my website,apache 5.9 windows xp.I have just the html code for mailto: on my web pages.It works fine if you use Outlook espress.Guess alot of people dont use outlook.
tks.
Johnny

He's running a windows box. I don't think qmail will work there. However, after rereading his post, I'm wondering if he meant webmail and not a server.

Rhythm.
the mail is for my web-site,were it says "email me"
so all they have to do is click on email me and -as of now OutLook express comes up. Some people dont use or have outlook set up on their machine so they cant use it.
This will be on my server machine that im putting together.
you know ,the one that I cant get the cgi to work. ha ha ha .
Thanks to all of you guys.
and have a nice Turky day.
Johnny

Oh, no wonder everyone calls me stupid. I guess the "quick and easy mail server" got me all hung up. You shouldn't have to worry about what email client your visitors use. When they click on the mailto link, their default mail client should pop up.

Hi Rhythm.
I was looking at the one you had mentioned.Didn't do anything with it yet.I just changed my email address.I going to throw together another machine and load it with lenox.Ku or the other

Rhythm,did you ever use XAMPP,.I found that or was reading about it and it seems to have most everything in it when you download it.Apache,perl,ftp,and other.
what ya think of it.
tks
Johnny

Oh I read about xampp,It has apache in it.Would the file system be the same as the apache i have now?Would I just be able to move my files from one hard drive to the xampp hard drive in the same apache folders?humm
tks Johnny

Not really. Most WAMP packages dance to a different beat. They just make up a place to put their stuff and that's about it. There is a silver lining though. Take the default locations of the files. You can leave all the executable and configuration files where they are. Since you will access the websites quite often though, you may want to put them all in a directory closer to the root directory c:\. Say something like c:/web/ Within this directory, you'd place all the directories for your vhosts. So now you would have let's say c:/web/website1 and c:/web/website2 and so on. Within each website's directory you could hav three sub-directories. They could be htdocs, cgi-bin and logs. I can't draw a directory tree on here because the spaces don't let it come out right but I'll try anyway.

c:/web/website1/htdocs
|-- /cgi-bin
|-- /logs

So the DocumentRoot will be c:/web/website1/htdocs for website1 and so on for all your vhosts. You should have to do very little editing at all in httpd.conf. The only thing you should have to do is make sure the following line is uncommented:

NameVirtualHost *:80

Also look for the Include directive. It may look something like this:

Include *.conf

If it's there you're all set. If not add it. Now you ask, what about my vhosts? You will put them all in a file called vhosts.conf. That's what the Include directive does. Here is a skeleton of on vhost container. Copy it and paste it into a file called vhosts.conf.

Code:
##################### Website1 Start ###################

<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerAdmin webmaster@website1.com
    DocumentRoot c:/web/website1/htdocs
    ServerName website1.com
    ServerAlias [URL unfurl="true"]www.website1.com[/URL]
    ErrorLog c:/web/website1/logs/error_log
    CustomLog c:/web/website1/logs/access_log common

<Directory "c:/web/website1/htdocs">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/c:/web/website1/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "c:/web/website1/cgi-bin">
    AllowOverride None
    Options None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

Edit it to fit your server then add as many as you need. Save vhosts.conf where the rest of your .conf files are and everything should work like a champ. Always make sure apache is working correctly though before you make any of these changes. It makes it a whole lot easier to troubleshoot. Just a side note. Sub-domains don't have a front of them so you won't have a ServerAlias directive for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back