Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Queue to second Exchange server fills up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartijnM

MIS
Oct 9, 2000
US
All,

I recently attempted a swing-upgrade, from server1 with Exchange 2000 to server2 with Exchange 2003. All is well, it seems, and I am able to manage both servers from withing ESM. I moved one mailbox (mine) and am able to send mail without a problem (internally and to the internet) but I am not receiving anything.

Our (anti-spam and -virus) mail relay tells me that any emails intended for me are neatly being delivered to server1 (the original host of my mailbox), but it seems they never make it from there to server2....even though both servers are part of the same Administrative Group....

On server1, the queue to server2 is filling up, and I have no clue why. SMTP connections are allowed (and tested) both ways, and the SMTP log on server2 doesn't reveal any problem - in fact the only entries there look like this:

192.168.1.142 OutboundConnectionCommand -
192.168.1.142 OutboundConnectionResponse -

Nothing else is logged...... *o|

Anybody have a suggestion? I'm stumped at this point...

TIA,

Martijn Middelplaats
CCDA, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE
martijn at middelplaats dot net

I'm having the same problem, just brought a second exchange 2003 box up, moved 1 mailbox and am having the exact same problem. Did you ever come up with a solution?

No - we are still not able to move any mailboxes, as there is no mail exchange between the two exchange servers. Any suggestions you may have would be very welcome.....

Thanks,

Martijn Middelplaats
CCDA, CCNA, MCSA, MCSE
martijn at middelplaats dot net

Still no luck here, if I change our spam filter to point at the new server I can receive emails from the outside world. However, as soon as I change the spam filter back to the original exchange server I can't receive email on server 2. Basically all the messages are in the que of the first exchange server and just timeout. Its begining to look like I'm not going to be able to do an in place move to the new server which kinda stinks

One more thing, I can't get my public folders to replicate from the old server to the new server since it uses smtp. I have those in the que also.

I'm still trying to track this down, my public folders can't replicate cause exchange uses smtp to replicate. Anyway, what is strange is that when i look at logs and message tracking it appears that messages from exchange 1 to boxes on exchange 2 are being sent out to smtp. However, the messages are sitting in the queue of the first server awaiting delivery to server 2. The queue says the connection was dropped by remote host. The box on exchange 2 can send to anyone internally or externally no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back