Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions re: exporting roles/features from 2008 to 2012 new machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevCon

Programmer
Jul 11, 2001
US
First off, my options seem limited for a full upgrade/transfer/recovery because the new HP server is exclusively UEFI and the old HP server is BIOS.

1 - So assuming clean install 2012 on the new HP server, what are (in a few sentences/links) best practices & options for moving/exporting things over from my 2008 machine?

2 - Do I have to properly demote and "hand over" the domain to the new machine or can I just mirror the settings and use the same names/IPs and "turn-off old / turn-on new" when ready?

2a - If I mirror settings, assuming I have 2012 server and DC up and configured properly, when an existing user's PC logs in first time will things be the same or will it create a new user profile on the PC?​

Thanks!

Happy New Year !

you mentioned DC, the FSMO roles need be migrated, DNS also need be migrated ( it is easy if your dns is AD - integrated).

for other roles like dhcp, remote access, only add if needed.

Good luck.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back