Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions on SCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

m245

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2015
HK
I've newly set up an exch 2007 server and intend to use it as a SCR targe server for another Exch 2007 server which is already in production. I will use update-storagegroupcopy to do the seeding but I am afraid it will seriously affect the performance of the SCR source Exch 2007 server during seeding. Will it take a long time for the seeding process to finish (the edb file is 50GB and both source and target are in the same office) and do I have a way to stop the process if it ready does seriously affect the performance of the SCR source server while seeding? Thanks in advance.

If I am going to do a manual copy from source to target, is it a proper way to do the seeding if I do the following?

1. issue Enable-StorageGroupCopy (in source). I supposed the status will become "suspense" in this stage

2. dismount database (in source) at night when no one is using the exchange server

3. copy the edb to a usb harddisk

4. mount database (in source) after finishing copying

5. copy the edb from usb harddisk to target server the next morning

6.issue resume-storagegroupcopy (in target)

Will it cause problems as there will be a 12-hour time gap between step 4 and step 5.

Honestly, a 50gb database isn't very large and shouldn't take that long to seed automatically unless your source server is running the database on a single SATA drive or mirror. Since it's all read operations, it shouldn't really kill your source server. I'd just kick off the mirror after dinner one night, and it should be done before the sun comes up.

I wouldn't bother with a manual seeding in your situation. I think you are more likely to be successful letting it seed on its own, rather than trying to use your steps.

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net

Thanks for the reply. You're right, I did the auto-seeding yesterday and the affect on the source server was very minimal.

I am planning to suspend the SCR and move the target server to another office and then resume the SCR after the removal. The suspension period of the SCR will be around 24 hours. Is there any possibility that I have to do the seeding all over again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back