Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions on a router for a DS3 w/ voice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldfuzion

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
US
I'm hoping that this is the right place, and i apologise if this is a rather newb question.
My company has purchased a new building and will be moving in in about 5 months. We currently have a T1, but have really begun to max it. For the new location, I'm suggesting a DS3 with about 3 mgs turned up. We will also need voice lines for the building and a dedicated voice line (T1) from our main building to another office for the PBX to run across.
My thought is to use the DS3 for all of this. I believe it is possible from the DS3 coming in to use 3 mgs for data and then use 2 T1's worth of channels for phone lines and one more for the PBX connection.
My question is, which Cisco router would work best for this, and are there modules needed for this to work (and will it work?)
Thanks in advance.

Cold

probably at least a 3725 with ATM modules. A 7x00 would probably be better depending on the traffic volume.

here's some DS3 modules on ebay (not suggesting ebay, just giving you some looks)

your situation would probably warrant end to end QoS to accomodate the Voice and Data differentiation.......... very doable

We use dual fastethernet modules connected to fastethernet to T3 Multiplexers connected to Wireless Radios so our WAN is 54Mbps MAX. We are using 2621XM's at the branches and a 3725 at the hub site. the cpu on the 2621XM's stays at about 5% on a constant basis while the hub router baically stays unmoved 1%.

-gC-

I think you're looking at this wrongly..

When the telco brings in a DS3, it depends on how you're going to use it. Sometimes they'll bring the DS3 in just for voice or data, or sometimes they'll bring it in as a combined service.. In your case, they'll demux it before it even gets to your gear..

So it'll get brought out as standard T1 to the PBX and then a standard T1 for the P2P.. As for your data piece, they might give it to you as a DS3, or they might do an ATM IMA circuit (bundled T1s). Its hard to say, and depends on your ISP.

You need to see exactly how it'll be handed to you, then make your decision on that..

BuckWeet

But to tell you the truth, for what you're looking at now, I suspect that the DS3 is still a more expensive option as bring in individual T1's.

To add to what BuckWeet was saying, you should really work on your ISP with this - and see what kind of specific packages they offer along with the necessary equipment needed. If the ISP is giving you a hard time, then simply shop around for another one (or at least let them know you are). ISP salesmen tend to be more "flexible" when you squeeze them like that. Regarding what BuckWeet was saying about the individual T1's, go and see if your provider supports MLP - which would be a perfect solution for you. Both cost effective and efficient...

2 bonded data t1s, 1 point to point t1, and 2 voice t1s will be a lot cheaper than one fractionalized t3.

It's also not a greate idea to have all your circuits on one line. If the DS-3 goes down your whole office will be down. You really need atleast 8 T-1 before you consider using a DS-3. ALso you will have to pay the same charges for a lot of the port charges for the T-1's they break off. You will also need a MUX, which is also expensive, to break out the circuits. If you only need 3 or 4 megs get 3 or 4 t-1's to account for growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back