Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about Partitioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnest

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
Right now, my hard drive consists of C which contains Windows XP and various installed applications, D which holds all my data, and E & F currently empty.

I may reformat again soon and resize the partitions. What I need to know is:

(1) Can I put just the OS on C, data on another partition, and my applications on another so that if I decide (or have to) reformat C I won't have to reinstall all the applications again? (I do realize the importance of backing up the data beforehand--just "in case").

(2) If I became infected with a virus, worm, or trojan in the future, does it or can it infect other partitions or just the primary partition that contains the OS? I assume it can, but if a scan showed it was just infected on C, then if I couldn't elimiate it completely, I could just reformat C and not have to worry about the other partitions?

What you say is feasible, the only minor hiccup would be that Windows will want to install several of its own programs into its partition's Program Files folder, whereas you can usually redirect applications you install to any named folder anywhere on the machine.

Boot files will probably be stored on the Windows partition and might come into play if you ever dual boot etc.

Formatting to remove virus infections is a bit of an overkill, but sometimes may be necessary.

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

Prevention is a better policy.

Hi linney,

I went into culture shock going directly from Windows 95 to XP a couple of years ago. For a while I really dreamed about dual booting 98 and XP, but since I have learned to love (for the most part, except I still can't FIND things occasionally) XP, I wouldn't consider it now.

I currently employ Adaware, Spybot S&D, SpywareGuard, SypwareBlaster, ZA, HijackThis and AVG antivirus and feel I am for the most part protected. I keep my security level at almost midway on medium setting and don't get many pop-ups or problems with virii, malware, etc. So, I'm into prevention, just wondering how anything that might slip by could affect other virtual drives. And the main idea of the story--is there any benefit from putting apps on another virtual drive?

I guess I'm too ignorant at this point, linney. I don't know anything about pagefiles and such. I'll have to learn more. Thanks for the suggestions.

I myself just keep things pretty simple and just go with the default setup. I suppose it might be a few seconds slower all round, but I'm not in that much of a hurry, and in the long run I wonder if it doesn't lead to extra trouble.

These are the more basic and easier to apply ideas I follow and use.

FAQ779-4784 may help.

windows XP running very slow
thread779-796508

To be very specific, I'm not currently, nor in the recent past, having any problems with malware, spyware, trojans or anything of the sort.

I just want to know if putting the OS on one partition by itself, programs on another, and data on another is a good thing and if it works. I assume it does?

If you ever have to rebuild from scratch the OS installation of C:, the installed programs on another drive letter will not be of any help to you.

They will all have to be reinstalled from scratch. This is due to the extensive number of registry entries most software will require to be incorporated into the OS.

As to your second question, assume that any virus will examine all partitions on your hard drive. Some viruses are only interested in OS files, others have more extensive lists of targets: Antivirus program files, and Microsoft Office files are often targets, for example.

Bcastner's view on separation is correct. But keeping things separate, particularly data, tends to make things simpler to organize, fix, and back up.

After hundreds of reloads for customers I strongly suggest that they do exactly what you propose. The only downside is for those who image their systems for rapid recovery. Those need to have their programs on the same filesystem to keep the pointers coordinated.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

linney, thanks for the links, so much good info in there, some I am familiar with, some I have yet to learn.

Bill, thanks for bringing up the point of the registry entries the software requires. Duh, I didn't think of that little point! ha I'll skip the idea about setting aside a separate partition for applications.

ed, I concur. Since I first partitioned last year, it is so convenient to just back up everything from one partition instead of having to hunt for things. The only things I have to remember to back up from C now are my bookmarks, address book and any important email.

Thanks to each of you for your replies, much help!

An image backup of "C" after your final setup is to your satisfaction might overcome the links problem and give you a leg up in any reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back