Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about NTFS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zejjeu592

Programmer
Jul 27, 2001
US
Hi,
I'm thinking about converting my FAT32 partition on my computer running windows XP pro to NTFS, but i have one question. I have another computer running windows 98 networked with it, and i wasn't sure if i would still be able to acess shared files from the NTFS drives. Anybody know the answer to this?

One of the enduring Windows myths is that a FATxx network client cannot access an NTFS filestore.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. Your Win9x client will not have an issue issue, as will there be no issue for your XP workstation in the other direction.

And please,

If you ever do have an issue, please ask. There are a ton of people on Tek-Tips who can help with an issue of this nature within seconds.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

I think the confusion is that a Win98 OS cannot access NTFS directly. If you were to take a hard drive formatted with NTFS, and install it (physically) in a box booting to Win98, the drive would not be readable. Over a network connection, however, the machine the drive is on is doing the actual read/write, and the network software is handling the data transfer. Similar in nature to the way you can connect to a computer on the net running linux, unix, or whatever, because that computer is handling it's OS, and giving you the data in a common format (HTML).

djsiders,

You are absolutely correct that as a physicly connected filesore it will not work.

I apologize if the presumption of a network connection was not clear in my last post.

My best wishes to you sir. You are absolutely right.

Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back