Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about DLT vs. LTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Drisnil

MIS
Mar 29, 2003
US
I noticed this forum doesn't get many hits....

Whats the big difference between DLT/SDLT & LTO ??

I'm looking at needing to back up more than DDS-4 80GB dat drive worth of data, and I have some options but not many.

The RAID 5 array will be 430GB but maybe only need to back up 150GB of data the first year.

WOuld someone help me ?

Thanks in advance,
Morpth
[noevil]

i've seen sdlt tape drives go forever with no issues at all. can't say the same for dlt thought. lto has performed the best of all 3.

with lto you also have the option of lto: 1,2, or 3. lto3 being the fastest. but you don't always need the speed of lto3. as a matter of fact if you don't feed the lto3 fast enough you will have terrible results.

what kind of connection do you have between the backup server and what you are going to backup? what's your backup strategy like?

well lets just assume you have a gig-e connection and want to take one copy offsite once a month for deep archival. i'd probaly recommend lto2 or lto3. if lto3 is not that much more expensive or within your budget i'd get the lto3.

I think of DLT/LTO as Yin/Yang. They are more equal than anything else. Both very reliable, both very fast.

I actually like the DLT over the LTO.

The new DLT is not as fast as LTO3 but actually has a higher backup and restore throughput, go figure.

If WORM is ever a possibility then DLT is worth higher consideration since it used standard tapes instead of more expensice WORM specific tapes.

Bottom line is that either one is a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back