Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Questions about appending with autonumbers 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2002
US
Hi all. I have a database with a bunch of autonumbers. I need to append a huge ammount of data into it, and I would like to add the primary key with existing data (ie with info which is to be appended) as opposed to the database automatically generating one once the append is complete. Is this possible? Thanx!

mrtauntaun,

I am pretty sure that you can only run an append query once. Then what happens is it just re-enters the same data into the tbl. You could take all the data from your db and put it into a Excel sheet with column headings and add the other data into the sheet and then import the Excel sheet into a tbl then make an append querry from the new table and run it once.

This is just a suggestion but it may be too much work depending on how much data is in the database. If it is too populated you might have to eneter it in manualy. I hope this helped.

Tofias1

Its a couple hundred records, so I would really not have to enter it manually. I shall try the spreadsheet, thanx!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back