Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question setting up dns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roberti

Technical User
Mar 2, 2001
NL
Hello all,

I'm setting up a DNS server for my company but I'm running into some questions. I want to internaly be able to resolve our servers with their non-routable addresses, like the fileserver (10.4.0.4). Those dns entry's should not be viewable for the outside world. We also host our own website and mailserver, wich have external addresses (192.87.23.148). These should be viewable. I'm using FreeBSD and Bind 9. I can use only one server, so split dns on two servers is not possible. I also tried the 'view' statement in the named.conf file, my reverse dns doesn't work then. Does anybody have any tips? If you require more information just ask.

Roberti.

I think that your only option here is to use 'views'. What problem does this cause you with reverse DNS?

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Well, the reverse lookup of the internal servers work, but not from the dns server or the external servers. it says something like non-existing domain.

Roberti

Is the reverse zone for the live routable IP range delegated to your DNS server or the ISPs?

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

It's delegated to my DNS server. But only since last friday, so it could be that it wasn't picked up yet by the rest of the world.

Roberti.

Sounds more than likely. As long as you have outside and inside views for both the domain name and the reverse zone then you should be fine.

Chris.

Chris Andrew, CCNA, CCSA
chris@iproute.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back