Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regarding replacement of BFT on BCM400 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

pleskuk

IS-IT--Management
Mar 3, 2008
GB
Hi all,

I have a BCM400 4.0 system which is acting strangely i.e. all the LEDS except the Power and HDD are blinking green. Power LED is solid green and HDD is just showing kind of normal activity meaning it's not constantly blinking nor it's turned off.

From what I've read I suspect that the BFT might be the problem because the telephony is working (digital sets, DECTs and PRI) but we don't have an access to the system. I intend to check the capacitors to see if they are still green and maybe change the PSU and check the HDD.

I know that telephony configuration is kept on the MSC so I wander if I replace the BFT and plug the original MSC board, other modules and HDD to the new BFT will I be able to keep the telephony settings or would I be able to to a backup from the backup file I have? Also when changing the BFT is there any special procedure for 4.0 system or I'm just moving the MSC, modules and HDD to the new BFT?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Ivo

If you are replacing the BFT then transfer over the MSC card on to it.
Your licence and programming are held on the MSC card.

Also have you tested the voicemail.
Can you access the element manager on the bcm and access the programming.

Those lights flashing can also be the hard drive going faulty.

Hi snowman,

We don't have voicemail or IP telephony. All we have are T7316E digital phones, DECTs and two PRIs. Everything seems to work fine but as I mentioned we don't have system access through EM or network connectivity whatsoever.

Today we did the following:

- Removed the Hard Drive and attached it to a PC and it seemed to work fine. All partitions are there. We did also an image of the HDD just in case, replaced the HDD cable and plugged back in :)
- We tried with serial port and also we attached a Monitor to the VGA port but there were no output at all, we couldn't even see the POST messages.
- We also noticed that the BFT has green capacitors and only one of them is blue but we didn't noticed any visible problems with it (doesn't mean they are ok).
- The lights continue to blink like before.

Based on this I think most probably it's the BFT. You opinion?

Also, we found one 3.6 function tray but our system is 4.0. The supplies ensures me that it is compatible, but has anyone tried?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Ivo

The base function trays are all the same for 200'400 base units

Except for bcm450 as these have the msc built in with SID.

Thanks snowman,

I think I'll get that BFT to give it a try. I don't think I have many alternatives left. From what I've read and tried I can't think of other solution.

Regards,
Ivo

I did have one system doing that and it was the power supply unit.
It effected the hard drive.

Seems there wasn't enough power for the hard drive.

I changed the BFT
I changed the hard drive.

I changed the power unit and all was well.

Thanks for the info guys.

We've just replaced the BFT, relocate the MSC cards from the old BFT to the new, powered up the system (it took about 30 minutes and couple of automatic restarts to be able to logon to the system), restored from most recent backup and the system seems to be working fine now.

Thanks again for your opinions.

Cheers,
Ivo

Nice job

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back