Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regarding new large scale project

Status
Not open for further replies.

port27374

Technical User
Feb 14, 2004
Hello again folks -

i have a query from a potential client which i would like to ask some advice on - my client is a company which manufactures small form electric motors for many many purposes, they have around 10,000 or more different motors archived currently which they have designed for their own clients, each motor that is designed and sold has a spec sheet and at most 5 other pieces of paper associated with it, which are all kept in one file, which in turn is archived as a hard copy in a traditional filing system such as a filing cabinet.
What my client is looking to do is instead of continuing to extend their hard copy "database"... they want to computerise it all and "scan" all previous files in a searchable database (Primary key would probably be a unique "job number") associated with each file. Probably looking to make each file into one pdf file which they can bring up with the touch of a key. They also want to continue adding new designs every day into this searchable database for future use.

So my questions are, what technologies would best be suited to this task? projecting into the future i would estimate the company would have at most 50,000 records at the 2010 mark.

would it require a simple interface where a end-user could eaither "Search the database for previous files by job number" or add a new file into the database...?

The company also has an intranet, they would ideally like to deploy the program onit so that it can be accessed through the intranet by certain staff, i.e. it would be a password protected application hosted on a server.

any ideas welcome...

thankyou

There are lots of solutions availble that can handle this. FileNet has several solutions, EMC has one called DiskExtender that can be used.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

thanks for that info - i think the company may be more intrested in a bespoke solution... probably to save money?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back