Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regarding computer freeze-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePC

Instructor
Oct 21, 2004
US
A client emailed me today with this question:

--
I am having a minor problem. In windows explorer if I right click on any sub-folder in the c: drive the computer locks up and the cursor changes to the hour glass. At this point I bring up the task manager. There are always two entries of drwtsn32. If I end task on these two items the computer returns to normal. I can right click on the root of c: just fine.
I only noticed this happening after I set up a network between three computers and installed SP2. The problem happens on two of them. All three computers are running WinXP home edition and SP2.
--

Any ideas about what could be causing this?

Does the computer have Spysweeper installed and running? If so, open Spysweeper options and uncheck the box for add to Windows context menu. There are other potential causes but this is a known problem with Spysweeper so I thought to mention it.

Answer - the client does not have Spysweeper running. He is using SpywareBlaster, which is a legitimate freeware spyware detection and removal tool.

The problem seems to be related to the drwtsn32 file, but I am not familiar enough with that to know what is going on here. Any ideas are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back