Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regarding backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn2014

Technical User
Jul 29, 2014
US
I’m new to this forum and I hope I can get the answer to this question.
We have a Compaq Proliant 1600 with Sco Unix OpenServer 5.0.5. We are running an older version of Sage mas90 accounting software for Unix on it (includes GL, Inventory, Acounts Receivable / Payable, Sales Order Purchase Order ect) . I like to know if I do a ./full_cpio backup on tape will it also back up all the data on mas90 software as well or do I need to do a separate backup just for mas90. Also how often should I do the ./full-cpio backup.
Thanks for your help
Shawn

Yes, it should copy all the files.

I support similar systems on Dell, using edge as the backup software, backing up the programs and data every night, and burning the backup files onto CDRW either daily or weekly, depending on how often the data changes and how comfortable the customer is with having to reenter lost data in case of an upchuck. It helps that the backup is on a separate drive (6 day history) as are the programs and data. Have had to go to the overnight burn once in probably 12 years across 6 systems.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks for the info. We are actually looking to get the BackupEDGE software installed. But until then, we need to make sure that the data on mas90 program is also backed up using the ./full_cpio command, or is it just to backup the SCO open server.
Thanks for your help
Shawn

SFAIK the full will get all attached filesystems. Never have used CPIO. Everything I inherited used TAR or CTAR (early edge). I have used dd in order to have a rapid fix, if needed.

If I recall correctly, and this may just be the installation I service, the MAS90 installs in the /usr/mas90 filesystem/directory by default and the data is intermixed in various directories within the MAS90. The edge is set to do a backup of the /sys filesystem nightly to a /backup filesystem, later that backup is converted to an image, later still burned to CD, then moved to another area where it remains until overwritten the next week.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back