Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question regardind WSS installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaharc1977

Technical User
Oct 23, 2005
IL
Hey

I don't know how should I continu from the page "DB Configuration Setting", what should I put inside ??? (is it the name of the server that i'm trying to install the WSS on it and what is is "name of the db server?)
I would like to create for my organization unit only the regular and the simple WSS with no extras like Servers/forests and more...

Thank you very very much

So the msde is in the regular installation-right (the first option on the very first step) ? because I did it already(and as far as I know-I don't need sql server on the machine and i'm not willing to install sql).
Do I need to continue with the default db which in the first step or open a new one ?

In the second step-do I need to insert (in the filed "db server) the name of the server that i'm installing the WSS on (which is the same one) and what is "the name of the db of sql server" in this case ?

Thank you very very much and i'm realy appreciate your help!

If you do not want to install SQL, then you can use MSDE.

Do you have any other application in the server that is using MSDE? If not sure, then create a new db just in case.

If you are going to use the local MSDE, then you insert the local computer name as the db server.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions
Computer Repair, Website Design and Computer Consultant
Small Business Resources

I did it already... but I got an eror "code number 17 - SQL Server dosn't exist or access denied" with no way to continue... what can be the problem ?

Just to verify with you-do I need to put v in the checkbox "connect to exist db of configuration" (I tried both andthe problem couldn't be solved)

Thank you very much again

And another thing:
Do I need sql on the server to install the wss application ?
as far as I know-the answer is no and there is the wmsde choise insted

Thanks

Hello,

When you did the installation, which choice did you go with? Did you chose server farm installation? If so, then I think it requires SQL. If you go with the other option MSDE should be used.

You do not need SQL 2000 to install WSS.

Regards,
Thomas

So how could it be that I got the page with the sql settings and what should I do because of that to finish the installation ?

I'm realy appreciate your help, Thank's

AS it says : "17 - SQL Server dosn't exist or access denied" that means that you do not have the access to install this application or the application does not have access to the WMSDE database. I would open the datebase instance that you are trying to work with and see that the accounts you are using to either run WSS or the installation account have access to it.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions
Small Business Resources

but it doesn't make sence (btw-i'm working with an administrator account) what sql interface should I open if I work with wmsde ?

It does makes sense. Even though you are working with an Administrator account it does not means that it has access to everything. In addition, there are other accounts that are involved that can impersonate users or the server such as IWAM and the Network Account. I have had to do this many times.

The easiest thing is to install the SQL tools to administer the WMSDE, if this is not what you want to do, there is other tools but at this point, I suggest looking at SQL or .Net related access problems.

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions
Small Business Resources

BTW-
Do I need asp.net installed on the server ?
And, does asp.net installed by default on server 2003 or do I need to do that menually by myself ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back