Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question re: admin functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevepa

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2002
GB
Hi,

We are testing Portal Server at the moment with a view to rolling it out company-wide. Great software but I have a few "newbie" questions which perhaps someone can help me with!

1) If a user has a document checked-out, and for whatever reason doesn't check it back in again, is there any way for a co-ordinator to check it back in on their behalf so other people can work on it? I can't find any way to do this.

2) Is there any way to "undo" a check-out, for example if a user checks out a document by mistake, to avoid publishing it and incrementing the version number, is it possible to just "undo" the check-out and reverse all changes?

3) Finally - has anybody experienced any space issues with regards to retaining previous versions of documents; is there a limit which an administrator can set to the number of document versions retained?

Thanks,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

1) I haven't experienced that situation yet so I'm not sure if it is possible of not.

2) If a document is checked out, there is a option to undo the checkout in both the client author tool and web authoring. Client authoring, just right click the checked out document and select the undo command. thru the web authoring, located the document (though document library) and select 'show actions', this will then display a admin screen with the undo option.

3) I haven't had any space problems yet, but you can set the number of versions kept by logging onto the server and run the SPS admin tool (Where you create new workspaces), from here look at the properties of the selected workspace, and on the general tab, there is a setting for the number of versions to keep.

Hope this helps

Steve.

Thanks very much, a great help - I've set our version history limit to 10 versions which we think should be sufficient.

Thanks once again

Regards,
Steve

For your question 1, I'm assuming you mean that you want to check in the document that they edited. (If you don't have the edited document, just cancel their checkout as listed previously)
There is no way I know of to check in a document that is checked out to someone else, even if you are the coordinator. The only way you could get around it is to cancel their checkout, check it out to yourself, then check in their document.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back