Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on use of @PROMPT when executing a database function

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithBrown53

Programmer
May 12, 2008
GB
Greetings

I'm on BO 6.5.

I'm attempting to add a new object into a universe, which will execute a function on my database. The function name is f_count_admissions, and takes 2 parameters, returning a number.

The parameters are called p_date_from and p_date_to.

I'm trying to enter the following into the select box of the new object:

f_count_admissions (@prompt('DATE FROM','D',,,) , @prompt('DATE FROM','D',,,))

.....but on selecting the parse push-button, I get invalid table name. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Keith.

In the end, I discovered that I could execute the function using the 'Freehand SQL' area in Business Objects, so the problem has been allieviated.

Using 'Freehand SQL' can have serious drawbacks if you are planning this for production or need to modify in a later stage. 6.5 is better than earlier versions (in this respect) , but it is still best to use this for one-off's..

Ties Blom

I accept it's not ideal; so going back to the first post: what am I doing incorrectly?

If you look at it, you have to table associated with it. It shouldn't parse on it's own. If you want to force a table, then hit the tables button and choose one.

But, I wouldn't do that. Objects don't have to parse for them to work. You should try using the object in a real query with other objects and see if it works. I bet it does.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back