Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on .tiff files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofias1

MIS
Jun 17, 2002
US
Hello, and as always I would like to say thank you in advance to everyone who takes a look at my question. A tiff file is opened by the Document Imaging File that is provide with Office XP. Now here lies my question. What other application can open a tiff file other than the one provided (if there is one)? The reason why I ask is that a user is having problems opening them on a 98 machine. Oh, before I forget the tiff files are faxes sent to all users via Outlook. When they open it the cover pg only shows up. So basicaly I was wondering if there was another app that could open a tif within 98.

Again many thanks

Tofias1

Greetings. I don't have XP, but I was able to open a tiff using the paint utility. Perhaps that will work for you too.

Files with a .tif extension are graphic files. Most graphics-capable programs should be able to open it up (Word, Excel, MS Photoeditor, Photoshop, etc.).

Larry

Another way to go about this is to get a freeware image program from the net, or buy a shareware one you are happy with. I use ACDSee Classic at work, for TIFF's as they are usually huge, and I crop non-specific data, and convert to a jpg (pick one that gives you enough data to read/print the fax of course).

Doing this you have a jpg, which is readable by almost anyone, and when you email it around, it's using a lot less room on the mail server, and cutting down network traffic.

Hope this helps.

Sorry for being so late in my reply but thanks to all of you who answered my question. All responses were greatly appreciated and have a great weekend.

Tofias1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back