Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Task Length in MS Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishkid

Technical User
May 4, 2007
ES
Ok I have a work package called Management which has 4 subtasks. The management work package last 1690 hours. The 4 tasks will run the length of the management work package (1690 hrs) for example each task will last 422.5 hours. Those hours will be spread out over the entire Management workpackage (1690 hours). how do I create that in project, I want each task to be 422.5 hrs but show all the way across 1690hrs?

1. Create the Summary task.
2, Create 4 sub-tasks.
3. Set Work to 422.5 hours for each sub-task.
4. Assign resource(s) to each sub-task.
5. Set Type of each sub-task to "Fixed Work"
6. Set Duration for each sub-task to 1690 hours.

Please note: I never touched Start or Finish. Neither should you.

3. Set Work to 422.5 hours for each sub-task.

where can I find this, is that on the General Tab - Duration?

Thanks

Ok, I found it. On the tasks I have 5 or 6 resources who are performing a different % of the work for that task. How do I show the representative % for each resource?

Where do you want to show it?

(And, more importantly, why do you care? The resources have tasks, they know how much work they have to do, they know when they are supposed to start and finish ... nobody cares whether their work is 10% of the total work or 90%.)

Its for an official project (government). For example on I set work to 422.5 and then add the resources. After adding them I can see each resource has 49.5 hours allocated to them. Basically 422.5 / number of partners (9). this is not correct as partners are paid by the hour not task and this has to be tracked.

You are confusing "Work" with "Actual Work". Regardless of what you put in "Work", you will be tracking and billing (it appears you are using Project Server) based on the entries made using the time entries by each resource in the appropriate browser form (I'm not using Prj Server and I can't recall the PWA form name).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back