Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on sorting and grouping

Status
Not open for further replies.

techdiva

Technical User
Jul 29, 2002
US
I'm a newbie so bear with me. I have a project report where I am sorting on the record ID and then project# and want to group all the project #'s and their sub entries together and have them stay together on a page. Record ID is just for sort purposes since the report has to sort by order of record entry. This is what I have:
sort: record ID (ascending, no group)
sort/group: Project # (ascending, group header YES, Group on Prefix Char, Group Int = 1, Keep together Whole Group)

The report is sorting correctly but my groups are breaking up. for instanace, Project P, P-1, P-2 should group together but P is printing on page 2 and P-1, P-3 printing on page 3. When I remove the ID sort, my groups work fine. It's when I put the ID in that the grouping breaks up. Can you sort and group on two different fields? What am I not doing or doing wrong? HELP!

techdiva
Yes, you can sort and group on two different fields, or more.

What happens if you make the Project# the first sort and group, the RecordID the second sort?

I am guessing that what's happening is this...
RecordID 1 is part of Project P
RecordID 2 is part of Project P-1
RecordID 3 is part of Project P-2
RecordID 4 is part of Project P-1
or something like that.

If you want the Projects to stay together by their number, P or P-1 or P-2 or P-3, then make that your first sort and group.

Tom

Have you tried to group first by Project and then by record ID?

Duane
MS Access MVP
[green]Ask a great question, get a great answer.[/green]
[red]Ask a vague question, get a vague answer.[/red]
[green]Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.[/green]
[blue]Ask me about my grandson, get a grand answer.[/blue]

therein lies the problem. Yes, I tried sorting/grouping with Project # and found that it is the records that are DOUBLE ALPHA that are causing the problem: e.g. PROJECT AA is sorting and grouping underneath PROJECT A when it actually is a separate project and belongs (sorted) after PROJECT Z. (This format was in place when I got here. I personally wouldn't have designed this kind of 'numbering' system but I'm stuck with it for now.)
So, am I screwed? ;)

techdiva
From how you describe the "numbering" system, Projects are identified by A, B, C up through Z, then AA, BB through ZZ, then AAA, BBB through ZZZ.

I just made up a little query to see how, if what I have described above is correct, things might sort.

I brought the Project# into the query, then added a column Sort: Len([Project#]). Thus projects A though Z would have a 1, AA through ZZ a 2, etc. I added a sort Ascending for both query columns. Then, I moved the Sort column to the left of the Project# column, so that the Sort column would sort first.

The records came out
A
B
C
D
AA
BB

Could making up a custom sort column in your query, and then making it the first sort in your report, solve the problem for you?

Tom

you're right on the money... that's the project numbering schema and that's exactly what I'm looking to do... I'm not exactly sure how to write the query. Can you post a sample string for me to play with? Any other info/instructions were be more than helpful :)

techdiva
I'm assuming that your report is based on a query, and that your query already has the Project# in it.

That being the case, just add a new column to your query. Perhaps call it CustomSort.

So the field in the query would have the expression
CustomSort: Len([Project#]).

If you sort that column Ascending, it will put everything in order by the length of the string.

Then you can use that CustomSort field as the first Sorting/Grouping in your report.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back