Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Sharing an Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

JavaGeek2

Technical User
Apr 12, 2005
US
This may be an elementary question, but here goes. I have 3 phones on my Option11c cabinet that share an extension.

(2) Digital Sets and a Cordless Analog set.

My problem is this: The cordless can pickup in the middle of a call and join in or listen in. Also, if the analog is in use and I pickup one of the digitals, I interrrupt the conversation.

Sounds like I need to make the switch aware that it is a shared extension and that the calls should be "private" somehow.

Thanks in advance!
-Aaron

Due to the 500 set there is no privacy. There is a cordless version of the M2616.

cheaper, delete the scr/scn's on the digital sets, add mcra, to the cls of the analog used by the cordless, then put the keys back on the digital sets as mcr/mcn, lok at multi call ring in the features discriptrion... all three sets have a private ext, all still ring on the inbound call

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

if teh digital sets are 39xx series, GRLD (group listening Denied) should be your CLS. GRLA allows group listening on a shared extension

not sure but i dont think you can change that setting on a 26xx or 500 set

Group Listening Allowed lets you put the call on speaker so others around you can hear your call but the party to whom you are speaking isn't aware (unless you tell them) that they're on speaker. They can hear only you through the handset. I think JavaGeek2 is talking about Privacy.

i believe when i changed GRLA in teh past more than one person was allowed on a call at the same time. Didnt matter if speaker phone was on or not (HFA - hands free allowed is for speaker)

with GRLD you couldnt pick up a call in progress and listen in, GRLD you could....or am i confusing it with PUA, which i think is only for answering group pick upo lines (pick up allowed)

OK. I've been playing with the MCR feature. Pretty neat.

My next question is this: We have a help desk. I'm wanting the MCR feature so each person has a private extension, while having a common number.

Here is the rub. If there is one person manning the help desk and they are on a call that came in on the MCR extension, then another call comes in, it rings on the other on-hook MCR extension. How can I make it so that the help desk person can put the call on hold and pick up the other ringing MCR call?

Perhaps make a call pickup group and put the MCR in it?

Or do I really need to look at an ACD group?

Thanks Again
-Aaron
\

an acd group would be cleaner, another simple option would be to cfw the vacant seats, a msb key or dual mcr keys on each phone.. if i am the only agent, i can still answer the second call.. i have used a mcr with the only actual ring set to a chime on a analog port, any agent could answer the mcn key on her phone or put the call on hold and press the pick.. because the number was marped on the analog, it was rna after 6 rings to a mcr on 4 super's phones.. no one wanted the boss to answer the phone.. worked good for a 12 person group.. they did not have acd avaiable, do to lic for agents.. and it was a rolm switch, so the terms were different, the sets work the same

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back