Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on SBS 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo2003

Technical User
Oct 25, 2003
CA
Hey all (and happy Canada Day to all you fellow Canadians!).

I was asked to upgrade an SBS 2000 system up to 2003. The fellows bought a new server, and after working on the old machine, I thought it best to start from scratch as the old server was installed by, well, not so thoughtful professionals...problems everywhere!

What I have done/planning to do (2/3 through) is as follows:

1. Install and configure SBS2003 on the new server.
2. Create users and groups to replicate the old system.
3. Configure all the apps (Exchange, ISA, IIS) to similar functionalities.
4. Place old system offline, place new system online, and port all computers over.
5. Configure remote web desktop and expire the old server.

Now, my question to you all, is, have you or have you heard of doing an upgrade this way? Any pitfalls you see from this approach? Just don't want to get to step 4 and find a major issue with my plan (half way through step 3!)

Thanks,

Gizmo [pipe]

Sounds like you have a good handle on things but you will be doing more work than is needed. Use ADMT to import your Users and Computers. That way you save SID history for the users which is important for file access.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Ive done 5 sbs 2003 migrations. from nt, 2000 sbs and 2003 sbs. the admt utiltity is what u need to use. it works wonders.

MCSE 2K - MCSA 2K - NET+ - A+

Paul..

Thanks Markdmac and Sidetracked - I did not have a chance to test out the ADMT util in a sandbox, and, well, we all now what has happened to us one time or another with MS tools....didn't want this to be the time!

As for the file access, once I get this box in, I am going to migrate data over from an old Novell box they still use for authentication and file storage, and get them over to a complete Win-solution. Some old habits die hard for them though, so I am taking it in steps.

Thanks again, and enjoy the festivities today (for you Americans!)

Gizmo [pipe]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back