Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on saving a digital image without losing resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

algae1

Vendor
Jan 9, 2005
CA
Can someone tell me the best way to save a digital image without losing the resolution. I want to save it as a .tif and I need to know if I need to go Image > Image Size > 300 ppi and then do a "save as" and use .tif format. I've read several books and I'm still not clear on exactly how to do this.
Thanks
Lynn

To save a picture with the maximum possible infoemation, do not resize it.

The original resolution of your picture will depend on a number of factors....The resolution supplied by the camera, the conversion process (if any is used), how the file has been processed and/or saved previously.

To set 300dpi (the standard for printing), go to image size, uncheck the box for resample image and set the resolution. This will not change the size of the picture in terms of pixels but will change the printing size.

If you change the resolution while the resample box is checked, PS will resample and, if needed, create new pixels by interpolating information which can result in a loss of quality.

Whether or not you need to change the resolution, by saving the file as a tif, you do retain the maximum information in a flat file.

hth
Norman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back