Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on routing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

amobasse

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
Hello,

we have a strange problem on one of our AIX servers with the routing table. For some reason every now and then it learns a new route to a firewall. I have looked the ODM and the route is not there so I dont know how is learning this route. Also I checked tcp_pmtu_discover=1 udp_pmtu_discover=1 and both as you can see set to 1. I am not sure if I have to set these to zeros or not. The flags on the route is UGHMW. We delete the route but after a while it comes back again. Any ideas?? Thanks in advance for any advice or help. BTW, It's AIX 4.3.3. maintenenace level 7

Regards
Allen

Do the routes have a little c when you view them with netstat?
That is cloned route

Cloning routes in 4.3.3
add to rc.net also......They need to be before /usr/lib/methods/definet.
#no -o tcp_pmtu_discover=0
#no -o udp_pmtu_discover=0
. These values are set to 1 by default in AIX 4.3.3.
Which means clone routes....if you don't want cloned
routes change to zero.

The routes that shouldnt be there dont have the little c they have UGHMW. The only other one that do have the little c is the default gateway.

If you have routed or gated daemons running, they are used for Dynamic Routing.

Any host on the network that supports dynamic routing and can broadcast RIP messages (or other routing protocols) to your RS6000 informing it of a new route.

If you don't want to use dynamic routing you will have to stop gated and routed.

Hope that helps,
LHLTech

IBM Certified
Advanced Technical Expert

Thanks guys for all your help. I actually turned on ipignoreredirectusing no -o command. By default this is turned off on 4.3.3. My system was picking up redirect routes from the router. I turned it of and deleted the routes and it ixed my problem. Also added it in rc.net so it wont go back to default in case of a reboot.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back