Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Publish 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgun

Technical User
Oct 22, 2004
US
I have created several webs, if i try to publish to my isp it can take up to 3 hours to load, I have disabled windows firewall, on my XP Pro and still have the same result. I created a single page web and try to publish and it still takes between 2 and three hours to load. Is there ports that I should open or is this an Isp problem?

Hi Bgun,

Sounds like an ISP problem to me. It may while allowing you to publish with FrontPage not truly be compatible with FP.

I have heard of extremely large sites taking an insurmountable time to publish, but this is ridiculous.

You might try experimenting by setting up a free site somewhere like
Turn the extensions on from the control panel wait a few hours or till the next day and try publishing your site to this server.

If it still takes this long, then is likely a problem with Front Page (do a Detect and Repair) from help of the PC itself (may be clogged with lots of temp files and may need a disk cleanup)

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal Smith

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

AMysticWeb, Thanks for your input, I have done the Detect and repair with no change in the upload, the isp says there should be no problem. as far as turn on extentions in control panel, are you talking about installing FP extentions under add/remove windows componets, if so that has already been done. Thanks

Did you attempt publishing to a free site? My suggestion was to do this to see if you can publish normally there. Then we could rule out your PC or FrontPage as the problem.

If you are on a local server, maybe the extensions aren't set up properly. For actually setting up the extensions, all I could do is point you to MS KB articles, as I am not a server person.

If it a remote host, then the NetFirms option might then illustrate it is a server problem.

Using NetFirms as a trial run may help identify where the problem lies. Do publish the same web to see if there is a difference.

PS The turning on extensions from cpanel refers to the NetFirms test not your PC. As long as you publish to a site with the extensions installed, you don't need them on your PC. Only if you are using PC as server or for testing functionality of components requiring extensions.

Hope I have been of some help,
Micheal Smith

FrontPage Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

AMysticweb, thanks for the advice I will try the free site to see if that solves what I belive is an Isp problem.

AMysticweb, I have loaded my site to a hosting site for free and sure enough it loaded in 5 min, and works fine. after calling the Isp and talking with them it seams they strip any scripts out and wanted big money to enable my space to function correctly "goodbye Isp"... Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back