Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on Older Avaya IP 405 5.0(22) phone system and 1616-i IP Phones and corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilp

Technical User
Apr 7, 2020
CA
Good Day

I'm baby sitting a older Avaya IP 405 5.0 (22) phone system (and by no means competent with it :)

We've been having a lot of issues with the IP based 1616/1616-i phones becoming corrupt on power up (think we've lost about 6). Thought it was a bad power brick, frying them (Design or just a bad one being re-used) and it didn't happen nearly as much if POE was used.

They power on, make the expected beeps, the back light comes on, keyboard beeps, and I think you can enter commands via the keypad. But nothing shows up on the screen, and they'll never come online (From my fuzzy memory, I found a command to issue a reset/reboot command and the phone looks to restart after I do it)

I was looking to buy some replacement 1616/i off the internet and I found which makes mention of corruption with these models which requires a firmware update (but maybe also a control unit update?)

Anyone have any experience with these 1616 phones, the possible corruption issue, upgrading the firmware, and if I can somehow recover the phones which no longer work?

Any help/direction is appricated

Paul

The 406 is very old and the 16xx series phones are crap by default.
I would replace the whole system.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

5.0 was released in 2009 and a lot has happened since then!

Sometime and somewhere there are trade in deals.

Hi tlpeter/ipohead

Yep, its old (think from 2007); but it does what its need to do :)

Its just these 1606 phones which seem to randomly die on startup

Hoping to get a few more years out of it

From digging around, I think we may be able to add some 5610SW IP phones

Anyone have any experience with with the 406 and 5610SW phones?

Thanks

Paul

The 5610 work fine with an older release. But don't do it. Upgrade it.
Have your business partner do a BOM upgrade, get a cheap 500v2 chassis and a combo card (or whatever trunk cards you need with a vcm) and dispose of the 406.

-Austin
I used to be an ACE. Now I'm just an Arse.
qrcode.png

There was an issue in a very old firmware for 16xx that if caused the phones to all get the same MAC address, if that happened the phones needed to be sent to be repaired.

But IPO 5.0 was released more than 10 years ago, you really should upgrade :)

"Trying is the first step to failure..." - Homer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back