Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

question on migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
Hi, I'm just looking for suggestions and thoughts.

Currently we have an NT 4.0 domain with a couple servers connected. A Primary PDC and Secondary PDC. I got the OK to upgrade Exchange to Exchange 2003 on a new server and everything. What would you suggest?

Could or would I make the new Exchange server a brand new Windows 2003 AD primary? Or would you just make that new 2003 server a member of the NT domain?

One key detail I need to be able to do is migrate users slowly instead of over a weekend. Like a few a day or something like that.

I'm in the middle of doing kinda the same thing, only I have a 5.5 server in a mixed Server2000 Server2003 environment. We'll probably be seeing a lot of each other here in the next couple of weeks 8)

I can tell you off the top that Exchange 2003 won't run in an NT4 domain. You will have to implement AD for sure. Search for the Microsoft Exchange Deployment Guide, I DL'd it as a word file. It's very helpful to get your planning started.

Exchange 2k3 will only work in an AD domain no ifs no buts!

What you'll probably need to do is to create a new domain and new excahgen etc then create a nice trust between the old and new.

That way you will be able to test the conection and access gradually rather than BANG in a weekend, but then this approach only works if you have spare server capacity.

But then again I like clean installs over upgrades.

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back