Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on getting data from two tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivorjoe

Technical User
Dec 6, 2000
US
Greetings,

I have 2 tables that I need to work on. From my Client table, I need to go through and look at the client email address for each client (unique email addresses stored in this table). For each client, I need to pull out their name, company name and phone number.

Next, I have to access the Subscriber table, where for each client email address, I access all the subscribers who they have added to their email list. In this table, I have the subscriber email address, plus their name.

For each subscriber email address, I need to send out an email message that contains their sponsor's info from the client table (client email address, name, company name & phone number). Plus, the email that goes out to the subscriber needs to have their name, which is stored in the Subscriber table.

Basically, it looks like this:

for each Client {
get Client email
get Client info
find all Client's Subscribers from Subscriber table
for each Subscriber {
get Subscriber email address
get Subscriber's name
do variable substitution in the email message
send out the personalized email to the Subscriber
}
}

What is the best way to structure all this?

Code:
select C.client_email
     , C.client_name
     , C.company_name
     , C.company_phone
     , S.sub_first_name
     , S.sub_last_name
     , S.sub_email
  from Client as C
inner
  join Subscriber as S
    on S.client_email = C.client_email
   [blue]and S.portal in ('realtor','planner')[/blue]
order
    by C.company_name
     , C.client_name
     , S.sub_last_name
     , S.sub_first_name
the part in blue could also be written as a WHERE clause

r937.com | rudy.ca

You are a blessing to all novice coders! I have used your other solution to get my problem solved and to learn more about how to write proper code.

- Joe

I am actually working on a similar project. I tried to modify the code listed for my appication but if failed. The original code:

// show online member names
if ($showmode > 0) {
$query = "SELECT DISTINCT a.username"
."\n FROM #__session AS a"
."\n WHERE a.guest = 0"
."\n ORDER by a.username"
;
$database->setQuery($query);
$rows = $database->loadObjectList();

if ( count( $rows ) ) {
// output
$output .= '<ul>';
foreach($rows as $row) {
$output .= '<li>';
$output .= '<strong>';
$output .= "<a href=\"aim:goim?screenname=".$row->email."\"><b>".$row->username."</a></b>";
$output .= '</strong>';
$output .= '</li>';
}
$output .= '</ul>';
}
}

echo $output;

What I need to do is somehow pull the email address from the jos_users table so it will populate into the AIM link.

Any suggestions?

what is the relationship between the #__session table and the jos_users table? which columns would you match rows on?

r937.com | rudy.ca

as best I can tell thus far, the #__session table is pulling the logged in users from the primary jos_users table and storing that information. All in all, all the user details are intially being pulled from the jos_users table. I need to match up the username column from #__session to the email column in jos_users. The jos_users table also has a column named username, which is where #__session is getting it's data from initally. I hope this is clear enough. I am working with an "out of the box" CMS system that myself and a coworker have modified for our department needs as we go. -- Thanks

if the #__session table is populated from the jos_users table, why wouldn't the email address be in there too?

i would trace back to where this #__session table is created, and make sure

r937.com | rudy.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back