Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question on dynamic parameter lists based on users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGeo

Programmer
Oct 24, 2005
US
Looking to filter a list of values based on a CE username. (ie. external users only see their own company in a pick-list, internal users see all customers) Figuring if I could pass the CurrentCEUserName value in a SQL Command then I can use it in a storedproc that would limit the values. Hoping I just haven't figured out the correct syntax to pass in a basic reference like CurrentCEUserName.

I'm needing to do this for security and privacy purposes up front and record filters using CurrentCEUserName after the fact are not a viable alternative.

Do you have Business Views? That might be the way to go. You can define row and column level security in a business view based on the user or group.

That's kind of where I got to on my own after I asked the question. It's an odd situation and it'd be so much quicker and easier if I could pass the CurrentCEUserName value to a stored proc. At least it's possible to do some sort of workaround and I'm not stuck out in the cold.

Hi,
If you use custom code on a user interface web page to create the pick lists, you could use the login name as a criteria as to what to show..

Business Views ( or Universes in XI) would be the way to handle that as long as the pick-list comes from the database or can otherwise be specified in the Business view..Not sure if they can be so configured - usually the Business Views control what records/fields are available to a given user, not what parameter prompt pick-lists are used.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

I'd found the bit about custom web pages before but we're wanting to do this with the standard InfoView that comes with Enterprise XI. The solution I've come up with but not yet implemented is this...

I'm dealing with 3 groups of users, Credit Unions, Internal, and Dealers. Credit Union users see their own CU only, internal and dealer users see everything. The opposite is true for dealers where they see only their own dealership.

I have a user table containing orgid, usertype (CU, Int, Dlr), username and a join field filled with the number 1. The Organization table has the orgid and orgname plus the join field populated with the number 1.

So I join my user table and organization table and filter the user table by the CurrentCEUserName which is possible in a filter (though I can't pass the value into a stored proc) Then I'll use a formula and based on the entitytype either allow everything to display or filter out by the matching organization for the user.

Any suggestions or improvements from anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back