Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabaz2000

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2006
IE
Hi,
I am just after deploying my website from my localhost to my online webserver, and there seems to be some sort of formatting problem. There seems to be quite a lot of question marks appearing everywhere there is a space left. I am unsure what to do.
Regards

what text editor were you using and how did you upload them ?

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

I used dreamweaver mx 2004. I just uploaded them via winscp, and when I open the webpage online it just contains "?"'s everywhere.

i'm thinking that the pages contain nonASCII chars , I had the same problem on a page of mine.

Try copying the code to notepad, saving the file and uploading ensuring it is ASCII as see if that helps

"In complete darkness we are all the same, only our knowledge and wisdom separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you.

Are you copying and pasting text from a Word document, or some other word processor document? Those use special characters, like "smart" quotes, that don't convert to HTML well.

Lee

I'd say that could be the problem I'm copying and pasting from notepad into dreamweaver. I'll try and get the originals and see if that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back