Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question: How to circle text around sphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Hello!

I'm designing a logo and trying to get a ring of zeros and ones to circle around a "globe" of the earth. Simply drawing the ring and skewing it doesn't work because of course the "back" side of the ring still appears in front of the globe, rather than being hidden behind it. Also, the numbers on the back side of the ring flip upside down, which looks awful. And of course the numbers don't scale automatically in size with increasing/decreasing distance from the viewer.

I'd like to solve this problem without resorting to a 3D package. I imagine this must be a staple effect, but I'm new to Illustrator...

Thanks!

-Chris

Chris,

There's not a effect that does that but it can be done.

First before you start skewing the elipse with the text convert the text to outlines (Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + O). I would recommend making an additional copy of the text before before you convert it if you think you will need to edit it later. This will prevent the "text" from distorting as you skew the elipse.

As for hiding the text on the back side; make a copy of the globe and paste it on top of everything (Ctrl/Cmd + F). Then using the Direct Selection Tool (the white arrow) select the bottom anchor point. With only the bottom anchor point selected press Delete. This will mask over the "behind text" while allowing the text in front to show thru.

Hope this helps.

Cullen Cox
Graphic Artist/Web Designer
cullen@ulanji.com

the skew technique will work but as for the layering you can just move the entire text shape to the front, ungroup it, deselect the characters that will be in the forground and to a move to back ctrl+shift+[ BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back