Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question for Access Security Guru's Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

StuMunro

Programmer
Mar 2, 2001
GB
I have tried to secure my access application so that default users (no password) only have access permissions via the forms and reports. To do this I have removed permissions from all tables and made queries with the RunPermissions set to Owners or RWOP. To allow the forms to work on these queries I have HAD to grant ReadDesign/Read/Insert/Update/Delete to the default users group on these queries. I have removed the database window and bypassed the shift key. This all seems to work fine when using the application, however....

All the default user has to do to get hold of the actual data in datasheet view is create a new database and import the queries setting the import option to import as tables. I realise that the data is a copy of the data not the original but I don't want the valuable data to be exported anywhere.

I have thought about solutions such as changing the logged on user by code but I don't think Access allows this.

Can someone enlighten me, as I am 99% there.

stu

All that you can do is activating the security system on the backend file and instead of linking the tables into the frontend you use queries with "With OwnerAccess"-Option activated.
Have a look to the security-related articles in the Access Online Encyclopedia ( for the details.

That is what I have done, however it is these queries that make the data exportable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back