Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question during Advanced course

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyGLondon

Instructor
Feb 7, 2010
GB
Hello.

I teach Office products to an advanced level (although advanced topics are stated in the course outline, not
necessarily as advanced as others would consider).

Anyway, is it acceptable when running an advanced course to allow delegates to answer questions amongst themselves?

I believe that it is. Although they should take advantage of the tutor's knowledge whilst there, following the course the ability to exchange knowledge amongst themselves will become an important factor in their (combined) productivity.

Let me know your thoughts. Andy.

Hello Andy,
When teaching I tell the class that "there will be someone in this room that knows more about this Office product in one specific area than I do, as they are using that specific feature all the time. What I bring to the class is a better overall knowledge of the product."

I actually encourage my class to share tips/tricks and shortcuts.

My experience has been that people over-estimate their working knowledge of an Office product.

I also challenge people to think about their Office product in different ways. We maybe here for Excel training, but is it the best tool for the job. Realize that we have a full Office suite and which tool would be best suited for the task at hand.

Showing people how Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook can work together and not as individual silo's gets them to think differently about their software investment.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back