Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

olive

Programmer
May 10, 2001
FR
Good morning,
is it possible to set up a VPN connection between two IPOffice (for example a 406v2 and a SmallOffice) through a DSL connection, without using 2 routers ?

I read in the Avaya help documention the VPN section :
The Tunnel is created by the L2TP, and the security is performed by the IPSec license. Am I right ?
Is it a site to site tunnel ? I saw PPP, is it an other thing ?

Best regards.

The problem with DSL connections is that you need to use PPPoE, and the IP Office units don't support PPPoE. That is why you need to have a small router or something that will give the IP Office the DSL connection through Ethernet, in other words, PPP-less. Then you can enable the VPN however you want.

Its also cheaper in most instances to use third party vpn solutions. The vpn liscenses for ip office units are pretty spendy for what you get.

Its also nice to keep the work load for the vpn, firewalling, etc off the ip office I feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back