Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about VB and BO Reporter

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzreid

Technical User
Sep 26, 2000
GB
I am trying to create an external program that will allow the user to select a .rep file from a drop down, if Business Objects is already open, the report will open in the existing application. Otherwise the VB app will open BO and display the report.

My question is
How do I check to see if BO is already open? If I try to use BO.Visible = True as a condition when BO is already open, it always returns False.

Hi suzreid,

I developed a VB application which initially used the "Shell" command to launch a report but found that using the Windows API call ShellExecute the report would be launched within BO if Business Objects was already loaded.

Below is the declare statement that you must use and well as a sample line of code

' Shell call to load report files based on extension
Public Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias _
"ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpOperation As String, _
ByVal lpFile As String, ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, _
ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long

retval = ShellExecute(hwnd, "open", gReportFileName, " -user " & gUserId, CurDir$, SW_SHOW)

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back