Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about runtime files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaa69

Programmer
Nov 12, 2001
US
If you do a complete set up on a machine the runtime files will be loaded on the local computer. My question is on a network thsese files may be placed with the applicatio so they do not have to be loaded on every machine. If an application is loaded on each machine only using data on a server the application itself I know will run faster. Is there any difference in speed with the

1. Runtime files located on the server.

2. Located on the local machine in a startup directory?

3. In the proper place where FoxPro would install it if you did the complete setup?

Thank You

Which version of VFP are we talking about?

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Version 6.0 and 7.0 I use both depending on the end user.

The biggest problem with not properly installing the VFP runtime files on the local system, is that you may not have the proper system support files updated. The VFP runtimes depend on certain system files and expect them to be up-to-date relative to these files. I've found many situations where people have tried to use the RT's on a network or just copy them to the local system and then the application works, "funny", "flaky" or "not at all". While these are usually on Win 95, early 98 and NT systems - other times even "newer" OS's don't work right.

A good installer, whether the one provided with the Setup Wizard in VFP 3/5/6 or Install Shield Express that comes with VFP 7.0/8.0, or another "professional" installer that's checks for, and updates or adds the support files for each possible OS is the only safe way to go.

Note: Leaving the RTs or your app on the file server can also cause a lot more network traffic - especially problematic when the workstation don't have a lot of memory, the network/file server is "slow" and/or you have a lot of stations.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back