Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about Quick Sort

Status
Not open for further replies.

liberty4all

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
IL
Hello all.

I'm sure you all are familiar with the quick sort algoritem, but I'm still gonna post it in short:

Code:
IF left < right THEN
   BEGIN
       pivot := partition (list, left, right);
       Quicksort (list, left, pivot-1);
       Quicksort (list, pivot + 1, right);
END

In the partition function, the norm is to usually pick the first number in the array as the pivot, right? But if you choose the last one as the pivot, the loop can become endless. How does that happen?

Thanks in advance

It has been a while since I actually wrote this algorithm, i usually just use the built in qsort function. However, if I remember correctly, the pivot was the middle value and not the first.

Matt

Just to clarify, middle value should be the middle &quot;INDEX&quot; :)

Thanks for replying! My main question isn't about what index is best to use though, but rather that if you choose the pivot as the last index, how can that cause the partition loop to become endless?

You are going off the end of the buffer

Quicksort (list, left, pivot-1);
Quicksort (list, pivot + 1, right);

if pivot equals n where n is the last index, then pivot +1 is reading into memory that you dont control. I would assume this could be a problem. There should be a check in the code to verify that pivot is less then or equal to right (i think). As I said, it has been a while since I wrote this algorithm. You could also put a conditional at the beginning of the algorthim, something like

if(left>right)
return

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back