Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Question about pulling data out using CR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ernstmik

Programmer
Nov 5, 2003
US
If images and pdf files are stored in a database, can they be accessed by Crystal Reports?

In regards to images, Yes. At least from version 7 and newer this is the case.

Also, starting with version XI, it is not necessary for the image itself to be in the database, all you need is the path to the image.

I cannot say for .pdfs.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Depends on the Crystal version, database and how they are stored.

Your question is the equivalent of asking if computer files can contain things...

Post specifics, including your software version, database, data types used to store the images and PDFs, and how they are stored fields, etc.

-k

Most of the details are to be determined. It most likely will be an Oracle database but unfortunately, the team that wants to do this, is still in theoretical mode and hasn't made it that far along. Having said that, is there one data type that works best for images and PDFs that I could let them know about when they go about creating the database?

Thanks.

Again, that depends upon the database and version of Crystal.

People tend to store such things in Oracle BLOB or Long Raw data types, and newer versions of Crystal can work with that.

As dg states, you can also just link to them.

Here's some reading material:

-k

I am trying to access data for a report using stored procedures in MS SQL Server. I have a main report that provides job details and a linked subreport within it that provides the processes that were performed (general information). I want to get access to process detail information that is only available in a 2nd process detail stored procedure.

So far I have found out that Crystal does not support a subreport within a subreport, that you can only get at the first result set within a stored procedure and I also found out that you cannot join 2 stored procedures together based on a common key.

How can I get at this data if I need to access it from 2 different stored procedures at the same time ?

Thanks for any thoughts
FishyBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back